How Do I Become A Pharmacy Technician?
- At least 18 years of age
- High school graduate
- Must be of good moral character and non-impaired
- Education: Beginning on January 1, 2017, all applications for the Pharmacy Technician Certificate shall include evidence of the completion of a nationally-accredited pharmacy technician training program. The only organization that accredits pharmacy technician training programs is the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists; you can view a directory of accredited pharmacy technician training programs by visiting their website at www.ashp.org.
- Experience: Candidates shall earn at least 600 hours of practical experience in a Louisiana-permitted pharmacy under the supervision of a Louisiana-licensed pharmacist. Neither the pharmacy permit nor the pharmacist license may be on probation during the time when the hours are earned.
- Examination: Candidates shall pass the technician certification examination administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- NOTE: Applicants may not perform technician functions or earn any hours until a registration has been issued. Pharmacy technician candidate registrations expire 18 months after the date of issue and they are not renewable.
- All candidates must submit an Application for Pharmacy Technician Candidate Registration and include the required attachments.
- All candidates must submit to a State and Federal criminal background check (materials and instructions will be provided by the Board upon receipt of a completed application).
- Candidates who have completed all requirements to earn their Pharmacy Technician Certification must submit an Application for Pharmacy Technician Certificate.
- Regardless of the date of issue, pharmacy technician certificates expire annually on June 30.
- Pharmacy Technician Candidate Registration - $25.00
- Criminal Background Check - $42.50 (payable to LA State Police)
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (Initial Certificate) - $100.00
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (Annual Renewal) - $50.00