How Do I Become A Pharmacy Technician?
- At least 18 years of age
- High school graduate
- Must be of good moral character and non-impaired
- Education: Beginning on January 1, 2016, all applications for the Pharmacy Technician Certificate shall include evidence of the completion of a nationally-accredited pharmacy technician training program. The only organization that accredits pharmacy technician training programs is the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists; you can view a directory of accredited pharmacy technician training programs by visiting their website at www.ashp.org. For those persons who have already obtained their Pharmacy Technician Candidate Registration by October 7, 2015 who do not wish to complete the nationally-accredited training program, they must submit their application for the Pharmacy Technician Certificate on or before December 31, 2015.
- Experience: Candidates shall earn at least 600 hours of practical experience in a Louisiana-permitted pharmacy under the supervision of a Louisiana-licensed pharmacist. Neither the pharmacy permit nor the pharmacist license may be on probation during the time when the hours are earned.
- Examination: Candidates shall pass the technician certification examination administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
- NOTE: Applicants may not perform technician functions or earn any hours until a registration has been issued. Pharmacy technician candidate registrations expire 18 months after the date of issue and they are not renewable.
- All candidates must submit an Application for Pharmacy Technician Candidate Registration and include the required attachments.
- All candidates must submit to a State and Federal criminal background check (materials and instructions will be provided by the Board upon receipt of a completed application).
- Candidates who have completed all requirements to earn their Pharmacy Technician Certification must submit an Application for Pharmacy Technician Certificate.
- Regardless of the date of issue, pharmacy technician certificates expire annually on June 30.
- Pharmacy Technician Candidate Registration - $25.00
- Criminal Background Check - $42.50 (payable to LA State Police)
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (Initial Certificate) - $100.00
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (Annual Renewal) - $50.00